This vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest! It was created by Kimetha Wurster, and she pairs it with this date-sweetened chocolate frosting.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup dairy-free plain, vanilla or unsweetened milk alternative (she used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
- ¾ cup date or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting
- Dairy-free vanilla coconut milk ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners, or spray mini pan with grapeseed or coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk alternative, sugar, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined. Gently stir in some chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cups, filling each about ⅔ full. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake emerges clean.
- Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting with dairy-free frosting (another yummy recipe). Serve with coconut milk ice cream, if desired.