Baked chicken and homemade chicken strips are staples in our home. But sometimes I do like to mix up the coatings. This particular recipe for oven-fried flax chicken uses a combination of bread crumbs (gluten-free, if needed), ground flaxseed, and sesame seeds. It’s a tasty blend with a little pop in the texture from the seeds.
Oven-Fried Flax Chicken Breasts that are Baked to Perfection
If your chicken breasts are on the big side, I would double all of the other ingredients. When we first tried this recipe, the boneless skinless chicken breasts in store were quite petite in size. These days, it seems like they are always much larger.
Doubled coating would be: 3/4 cup mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, and 8 teaspoons oil (2 teaspoons per chicken breast).
If you can’t do sesame seeds, you can substitute almond meal or simply use more breadcrumbs in place of the sesame seeds. The sesame-free options are equally delicious.
Special Diet Notes: Oven-Fried Flax Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just be sure to choose bread that suits your dietary needs.
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup dairy-free fine bread crumbs (whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (brown or golden)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 4 teaspoons oil
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, salt, and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, flax, and sesame seeds.
- Brush each chicken breast half with the mustard mixture on both sides, then roll in the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Arrange the chicken on your prepared baking sheet, and drizzle each breast with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Bake the chicken for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.