There is nothing more comforting to me than a plant-based power bowl for lunch, and peanut sauce is a personal favorite! I love the wintry touches pomegranate and mandarins in this recipe, which also add natural flavor contrast.
Versatile Plant-Based Power Bowl with Easy Keto Peanut Sauce
This is a very fast recipe because no cooking is required – especially if you use pre-cooked grains. I personally prefer some of my vegetables (like squash) cooked, so I have a few suggestions.
No Spiralizer? Spiralizing just makes those vegetables thinner and easier to eat raw. You can simply cut the squash and steam, saute, or roast it.
Steaming – To steam the cabbage, carrots, or squash, place them in a steamer basket in a pot over boiling water. The cabbage and zucchini will take just a few minutes to become tender, while the carrots or butternut will take about 5 to 7 minutes.
Sauteing – Heat a little oil (your favorite type for cooking) in a pan. Add the butternut squash (if using) and carrots first. Saute for a few minutes, then add the zucchini, saute for a minute, then add the cabbage, and saute until crisp tender.
Roasting – Place chopped carrots and butternut squash on a sheet pan, and toss with a little oil and salt. Roast in a 400F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway.
This plant-based power bowl recipe with keto peanut sauce was created by Parker Wallace of Parker’s Plate. The recipe and photo were shared with us by the Georgia Peanut Commission.
Special Diet Notes: Plant-Based Power Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free optional, tree nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
You can make this recipe keto by substituting cauliflower rice for the quinoa or farro. For a paleo plant-based power bowl, you’ll also want to substitute almond butter and sliced almonds for the peanut ingredients.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk, plus additional, if desired
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup cooked farro or quinoa (for gluten-free)
- ½ cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup spiralized zucchini or butternut squash
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 cup mandarin pieces
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Green onions, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, coconut milk, and lime juice until smooth. Add more coconut milk, if needed, to achieve your desired consistency.
- Divide the grains between two bowls. Layer on the cabbage, carrots, avocado, zucchini or butternut squash, pomegranate arils, mandarin pieces, and peanuts.
- Drizzle on the peanut sauce and garnish with the cilantro and green onions.