What would St. Patrick’s Day be without a good cabbage recipe? This easy cabbage casserole fits the bill, and can even be enjoyed with leftover corned beef. Yes, even vegan corned beef if you prefer. The recipe was originally shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods. It used their allergy-friendly bagels as topping. The bagels were discontinued many years ago, but we’ve updated the recipe with new topping options!
Special Diet Notes: Potato & Cabbage Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and top food allergy-friendly. You can also enjoy this cabbage casserole as a vegan and vegetarian meal with one of the optional meat substitutions.
- 1 pound ground beef (can sub vegan ground "meat" alternative or chopped mushrooms)
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced white, Yukon gold, or russet potatoes (optionally peeled)
- Optional Toppings: ¾ cup dry bread crumbs or panko (gluten-free, if needed) + 1 teaspoon garlic powder, dairy-free cheese alternative shreds, or fresh herbs
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the beef and drain the fat.
- Add the celery and onion, and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the tapioca starch, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt (to taste), and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Layer the raw potato slices in a 3-quart casserole dish. Top with the meat mixture, followed by the raw cabbage.
- If desired, top with the breadcrumb-garlic mixture, a light sprinkling of dairy-free cheese alternative shreds, and/or fresh herbs.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
More Comforting Casserole Recipes
Southwest Chicken and Rice Casserole (optionally gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Overnight Apple Fritter French Toast Casserole (optionally gluten-free, nut-free & soy-free)
Mushroom Pasta Bake with White Wine Cream Sauce (vegan, optionally gluten-free & nut-free)