This unique pumpkin bread stuffing recipe has a deliciously rich and sweet flavor from the bread. But it’s complimented by classic savory stuffing ingredients. You can use a pumpkin yeast bread for less sweet, enjoy my healthy vegan pumpkin quick bread, or choose a gluten-free loaf, if needed.
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Bread Stuffing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 6 cups cubed dairy-free pumpkin bread (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth, or as needed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let them dry overnight. Or you can bake them in a 250ºF oven until dry, about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt the buttery spread in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and saute for about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Season with the rosemary, tarragon, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Fold in bread cubes, walnuts (if using), and cranberries (if using). Add enough broth to moisten the bread.
- Transfer the bread mixture to your prepared dish and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes, or until the top is crisp.
- Let cool briefly, but serve warm.