This innovative, added sugar free, raw carrot cake recipe was shared with us over a decade ago from Vegetarian Times Magazine. Although the magazine wasn’t strictly vegan, it always included an abundance of dairy-free recipes. I enjoyed the print version for years, but it was sadly discontinued. However, it has persisted as a great online publication, and is still a top recipe and information resource for the plant-based community.
Special Diet Notes: Raw Carrot Cake with Lemon Cashew Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly.
- 6 cups carrot pulp or finely ground carrot (about 8 carrots)
- 1 cup almonds, soaked for at least 8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups raisins, just covered with water for 1 hour, drained but soaking water reserved
- 1 cup pitted dates, just covered with water for 1 hour, drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon crushed cardamom pods or ground cardamom (optional)
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 1 to 2 hours, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup raisins, just covered with water for 1 hour, do not drain
- 1 cup pitted dates, just covered with water for 1 hour, do not drain
- Juice of 1 lemon
- If the carrots are ground in food processor, press off excess juice through a strainer or cheesecloth.
- In a food processor, process the almonds, raisins and dates until finely ground, or homogenize through a juicer.
- In a large bowl, stir together the carrot pulp, spices, and zest.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the cashews, raisins and raisin water, dates and date water, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Add extra raisin soaking water from cake if necessary to reach your desired creamy consistency.
- Line a cake pan with plastic wrap and press the cake mixture firmly into the pan. Turn the pan over onto a serving plate, and remove the pan and plastic wrap. Spread ½ cup frosting on top of the first layer.
- Repeat molding with the remaining raw carrot cake mixture and gently release on top of the first frosted layer. Touch up and reshape the cake as needed. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and side of the cake.
- Garnish with fresh fruit, nuts, and/or ground cinnamon.