The first day of summer is tomorrow, and that means snack season is here. You are going to need some delicious ideas, but why not double down on the benefits? You can easily turn snack-making into a family crafting project! This dairy-free version of summer beach toast is fun for kids (and adults) to make and eat. It’s also healthy and savory, to break up the trend of sugary snacks.
This spring toast recipe with photo was shared with us by the California Olive Committee.
Life’s a Beach with this Fun, Savory, Dairy-Free Summer Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick bread, cream cheese alternative, and crackers that meet your dietary needs.
- Slice each piece of toast into a square and place one above the other on plate.
- Spread a layer of dairy-free cream cheese on bottom third of the lower piece of toast. Spinkle with the crushed crackers, and gently press them in.
- Spread a layer of dairy-free cream cheese from the lower-right corner to the upper-left corner in the shape of a tree. Starting at the bottom, layer sliced almonds on top of each other to create a trunk spreading across both pieces of bread.
- Arrange the green onions or chives into palm fronds at the top of the trunk. Use dairy-free cream cheese as glue if they begin to slip.
- Arrange the black olives and green olive as coconuts between top of trunk and base of leaves, covering the bottom of leaves.
- Admire your work, and then dig in!