This spiced up cajun coleslaw salad merges a classic romaine salad with coleslaw, for a nice compliment of textures. It’s great for barbecues, topping burgers, or making into a full salad with your favorite protein. We like it with chicken, chickpeas, or baked tofu. As a side, it serves four or more people, but as the main feature, it makes two good-sized salad bowls.
Many people don’t realize that classic mayonnaise is naturally dairy-free. It’s made from an emulsification of eggs, which are not dairy, and oil. But we were testing out Earth Balance Mindful Mayo, a vegan mayonnaise, so this recipe is tested egg-free. We thought the taste was perfect!
The dairy-free Cajun seasoning we used wasn’t too spicy, but some brands have a lot of heat. Add a little at a time, to taste, to ensure you get the right level for you.
Special Diet Notes: Cajun Coleslaw Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise (I used Earth Balance Mindful Mayo)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar or dash of pure stevia extract
- 1 romaine heart, washed and sliced into small pieces
- 2 cups fresh coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 green onion, minced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar or lemon juice, seasoning, and sweetener until smooth.
- Put the lettuce, coleslaw mix, tomato, olives, and green onion in a large salad bowl, and toss to combine. Drizzle on the dressing, and stir to coat.