This vegan chocolate cheesecake originally came to us from Vegetarian Times Magazine. We’ve adapted it ever so slightly, but stayed true to their timeless formula. It’s a baked cheesecake, and does require a lot of patience. It’s quick and easy to prep, but it bakes for roughly 2 hours and then chills for another 8 hours. So be sure to plan ahead!
Special Diet Notes: Ultimate Chocolate Cheesecake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a nut-free vegan chocolate cheesecake, use this graham cracker crust recipe (or the one in Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook) in place of the graham-almond crust in this recipe. Also, use a nut-free cream cheese alternative, like Daiya, and omit the almond topping.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs (gluten-free, if needed)
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) almond meal
- 3 tablespoons + ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread
- 19 ounces (2⅓ cups) silken tofu
- 1 (8-ounce) tub dairy-free cream cheese alternative
- ½ cup chocolate sauce or chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Fresh berries and sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, almond meal, and 3 tablespoons. sugar. Whisk in the buttery spread until clumps form. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and part way up the side of your prepared springform pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor, puree the tofu. Add the cream cheese alternative and puree until smooth. Add the chocolate sauce, remaining ¾ cup sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and lemon juice and process until smooth.
- Pour the filling into your prepared crust. Tap the pan on counter several times to release any air bubbles. Place the pan on your prepared baking sheet and place the baking sheet on the center rack in your oven.
- Bake for 1 hour (the center will still be wobbly). Turn your off oven, and leave the cheesecake in the oven with the door closed for 1 hour.
- Transfer the springform pan to a wire rack and let the cheesecake cool completely, 3 to 4 hours. Refrigerate the cheesecake for 4 hours, cover it with plastic wrap, and then refrigerate it for another 4 hours or more.
- If the cake top still looks wet, just blot it gently with a paper towel. Place the springform pan on a serving plate, and carefully release the side to serve.
- Garnish with fresh berries and/or more chocolate sauce, if desired.
- The vegan chocolate cheesecake (ungarnished) will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, covered loosely with foil.