This vegan lavender almond cake recipe was an official entry in one of our So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contests! It was created and shared with us by Maiah Miller.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Lavender Almond Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups sugar (or 1½ cups agave nectar)
- 3 tablespoons dried lavender, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup oil (use your favorite baking oil; if using agave, add only ½ cup oil)
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 1½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Dairy-free buttercream frosting
- Sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- For optimal lavender flavor, food-process the sugar with the lavender and let it sit for a while to absorb the flavor.
- Add the sugar and lavender (or agave and lavender), oil, milk beverage and extracts to a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until combined.
- Briskly fold in apple cider vinegar, stirring the batter no more than 7 times.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pans before carefully removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, you can frost the layers and optionally garnish with dried lavender and sliced almonds.