Sometimes sugar-free snacks are hard to come by, especially ones that are high in protein and dairy-free. But these veggie frittata bites deliver on all fronts and are quite easy to make. The recipe is a Savory entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Amanda Brooks Latchie of Run to the Finish.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Though made as frittata bites in a mini muffin pan, the recipe can also be made in a 6-cup regular-size muffin pan, if desired. You can also add more or less vegetables as desired, even using steamed or roasted leftovers from the night before! And as with most recipes, season to taste, and don’t hesitate to add fresh chopped herbs if you have some on hand.
These veggie frittata bites will keep for a day or two, chilled in the refrigerator, but I would hold off on the crunchy cereal topper if you are planning to store them.
Special Diet Notes: Veggie Frittata Bites
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
Wait, Eggs? If you confuse eggs for dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup diced vegetables (broccoli, tomato and red pepper in my favorites)
- ⅓ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Milk Beverage
- Black pepper
- ½ cup gluten free, dairy-free crunchy cereal (Chex are used here)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 12-cup mini muffin pan.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl (you can use 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites if you want to cut calories some, but I use the whole thing) and briefly whisk.
- Add all of the vegetables and the milk beverage, and season with salt (about ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon) and pepper (a few turns of fresh black pepper or about ⅛ teaspoon) and give everything a quick stir.
- Use a ladle to add the mixture to your prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove and crumble cereal on top, bake for another 2 minutes
- Serve avocado slices with the veggie frittata bites.