Submitted by Betty-Baker – I always substitute soy or almond milk in all of my bread recipes, and the loaves disappear very quickly! Likewise, you should be able to substitute soy or rice milk powder for the milk powder called for in many bread machine recipes. You may even be able to safely omit it, as the milk powder is added just for flavor and texture. It won’t effect the rising or crumbliness of the bread. That being said, I found a few basic bread machine recipes that are naturally dairy free.
- 1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour (may use whole wheat bread flour for a heartier bread)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (use grapeseed, non-GMO canola or your favorite baking oil for soy-free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Add ingredients according to the manufacturer’s directions to your bread machine. Use the wheat bread cycle and light color setting.