I admit it, I’m a popcorn addict. I can eat a big bowl of the stuff drizzled with coconut oil and sprinkled with salt and garlic while, ironically, watching Extreme Makeover Weight Loss or Master Chef. I’m also addicted to positive competition shows, in case you couldn’t tell. But recipes like these popcorn power bars take things to an all new level.
I’d honestly never thought to incorporate popcorn into granola bars, but why not? This fun recipe for popcorn power bars and the accompanying photo were shared with us by The Popcorn Board.
They opted to use dried blueberries, almonds, and fresh pomegranate arils for the flavor vibe, but if you want these popcorn power bars to keep for more than a day or two, I recommend skipping the fresh fruit and upping the dried fruit.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Popcorn Power Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
For soy-free and dairy-free popcorn power bars, seek out dark chocolate that is also soy lecithin-free (Pascha is my favorite!) and use a soy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple). While you could use coconut oil in place of the margarine (and a pinch of salt), it will produce much firmer bars.
- 8 cups popped popcorn (preferably organic)
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds / arils*
- ½ cup toasted and coarsely chopped whole almonds
- ⅔ cup honey (sub agave nectar or brown rice syrup for vegan)
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- 6 ounces dairy-free bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil and lightly grease it.
- Stir together the popcorn, oats, blueberries, pomegranate seeds and almonds in a large bowl.
- Whisk the honey, brown sugar and margarine in a small saucepan. Bring it to a gentle boil over medium-low heat and boil for 2 minutes. Pour the sweet mixture over the popcorn mixture and gently but thoroughly combine.
- Press the mixture firmly into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Cut into 12 bars.
- Dip the bottoms of the bars into melted chocolate. Place on a wax paper-lined pan to set up.
- Store in tight covered container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
More Sensational Snack Bar Recipes
Cake Batter Protein Bars (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
Raw Superfood Energy Bars (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
Chewy Trail Mix Cereal Bars (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)