Take that old-school pie up a notch with a smooth and rich chocolate layer. This luxurious chocolate pecan pie has a smooth chocolate “black-bottom” layer topped with an a luxurious pecan filling. Healthy it is not, but holiday-worthy it is.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Pecan Pie
When made as suggested, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free and soy-free.
For Gluten-Free: There are several gluten-free, dairy-free pie crust options on the market now, from Wholly Wholesome to Pillsbury. Of the ones we’ve tried, our favorite thus far is a mix by Gluten-Free Pantry.
For Egg-Free / Vegan: Admittedly, pecan pie without eggs is a difficult feat. For those of you who confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?. I don’t have a quick and easy modification for this recipe, but consider a completely different recipe like this Maple Pecan Pie from the PPK, or see my dairy-free pie round-up, complete with notes on which are egg-free, vegan, gluten-free, etc.
- 1 dairy-free pre-made pie crust (can be store-bought or homemade - see options on this post; optionally gluten-free, too)
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons plain or unsweetened milk alternative (your choice)
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine or 2-1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with pie crust. Bake 7 minutes. Remove crust from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, microwave chocolate chips and milk alternative in a microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 60 to 90 seconds. Stir until smooth. Pour chocolate evenly over crust.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Slowly pour mixture over chocolate layer.
- Place ring of foil around edges of crust to prevent over-browning. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until filling is puffed and center is still soft enough to move when shaken gently. Cool completely on wire rack.