Thanks to the Veg Cooking website for this one…
Note: This decadent frozen dessert is not overly sweet and can be served plain or topped with a sweet fruit purée.
Serves: Approximately 1 qt.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a large saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat until beginning to melt. Do not stir.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until completely melted and caramelized.
- Add the water, allowing the caramel to steam and harden. Cook over medium-low heat until dissolved, stirring often.
- Add the cocoa and the salt and whisk until dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vanilla, cover, and chill for approximately 2 hours.
- Process in an ice-cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container. Allow to firm in the freezer before serving.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, then pour the sorbet into a shallow, freezer-proof baking dish, place it in the freezer, and stir it every 30 minutes to 1 hour; repeat this step until the sorbet is smooth and frozen.