This super easy dairy-free chocolate chip banana bread recipe was shared by CLIF Bar. To celebrate the return of their seasonal CLIF Bar flavors (Spiced Pumpkin Pie, Iced Gingerbread, and Peppermint Stick), they are sharing recipes that evoke holiday memories for their athletes. This baked good was chosen by Todd Wells, Olympic Mountain Bike and Cyclocross racer and Team CLIF Bar Athlete.
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is so Easy, You’ll Race to the Kitchen
Todd’s favorite outdoor holiday tradition is hiking up Engineer Mountain outside of Durango, Colorado, with his wife Meg and dog Winston. But their indoor holiday traditions involve thick slices of sweet quick bread.
Their original chocolate chip banana bread recipe is in fact dairy-free and contains just a few everyday ingredients. I’ve included options to also make this recipe egg-free and vegan or gluten-free, based on your dietary needs.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free dairy-free chocolate chip banana bread, simply swap your favorite all-purpose gluten-free blend for the all-purpose flour. Or you can try my friend Sharon’s Gluten Free Banana Bread at What the Fork Blog.
For egg-free and vegan chocolate chip banana bread, grease AND flour the loaf pan. Substitute 2 powdered egg replacers for the eggs . For strictly vegan, choose an organic brown sugar or swap in coconut sugar.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Spectrum Organic; can substitute oil)
- 2 eggs (see post above for egg-free)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (see post above for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ½ to 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan or a 9.5x3.5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the brown sugar, shortening, and eggs with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and beat to combine.
- Stir in the mashed banana and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and even out.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.