This chocolate cherry ice cream recipe was a Runner-Up Recipe from the Galaxy Foods Dairy-Free Ice Cream Contest. The entrants used Galaxy’s vegan cream cheese alternative to create a vegan ice cream recipe.
This recipe was created by Amy Siegel.
- 8 ounces dairy-free bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 Tablespoon dairy-free non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1-8 ounce container Galaxy Classic Plain Veggie Cream Cheese Alternative
- 14 ounce can coconut milk (not light variety)
- ¼ cup blue agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dried cherries, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped dairy-free chocolate bar or mini-chocolate chips
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl combine chocolate and margarine. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate chips are completely melted. If not melted, microwave in 15 second increments stirring in between, until melted. Allow to cool 15-20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, with electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together Galaxy Classic Plain Veggie Cream Cheese Alternative, coconut milk, agave nectar and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Whisk one third cream cheese mixture into cooled chocolate mixture. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining cream cheese mixture. Stir in dried cherries and mini-chocolate chips.
- Pour into bowl of ice cream maker and process as directed by manufacturer. Store in a plastic container in the freezer.