Every holiday feast needs an assortment of seasonal pies, including at least one pecan pie. Most pecan pies are filled with dairy butter and sometimes cream. And a dairy-free search online usually yields an assortment of egg-free and vegan recipes. In fact, this vegan pecan pie recipe was one of the first that we shared. But for those who do eat eggs, this classic dairy-free pecan pie is the staple recipe you’ve been looking for.
Did you know that pecans are America’s only native tree nut? It’s a proud heritage shared by the farmers who have grown this nut for generations. And it explains why pecan pie has become such a tradition for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This classic dairy-free pecan pie is adapted from a recipe that was shared with us by AmericanPecan.com.
Special Diet Notes: Classic Dairy-Free Pecan Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free pecan pie, use the The Millennium Pecan Pie Recipe or Aunt Bonnie’s Pecan Pie Recipe. This particular recipe hasn’t been tested egg-free. If you want to try it, see our Egg Substitute Guide. My top recommendation would be to try a rounded 1/2 cup aquafaba in place of the 3 eggs.
- 1 batch dairy-free pie dough for a 9-inch crust (gluten-free optional)
- ⅓ cup melted dairy-free buttery spread
- 1 cup golden syrup or cane syrup (see Sweetener Note below)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar for less sweet)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten (see post above for egg-free options)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups raw pecan halves
- Place a baking sheet in your oven, and preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Line a 9-inch pie dish with the rolled out pie dough. Carefully press it into edges and up the sides. Use your fingers or fork to create a decorative edge.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted buttery spread, liquid sweetener, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add the eggs and salt, and whisk until the mixture is well combined. Fold in the pecan halves.
- Pour the pecan mixture into your prepared pie crust and even it out with a spatula.
- Cover the edge of the pie crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Place the pie on the preheated baking sheet in the oven. Bke for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the pie is set in the center.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving or chilling.
Key Pantry Supplies: Classic Dairy-Free Pecan Pie