Years ago, Enjoy Life shared a fun recipe for allergy-friendly Reindeer Chow with us. It used their chocolate and their cereal. The latter product has since been discontinued, so we’ve updated the recipe to use Chex cereal. You can think of this as a dairy-free, nut-free, peanut-free recipe for muddy buddies. It’s a perfect treat for sharing during the holidays, but you can make it any time of year. In the “off season” it goes by “Puppy Chow.”
This reindeer chow recipe with photo was shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Reindeer Chow
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 9 cups gluten-free Chex cereal (like Rice Chex, Corn Chex, or Cinnamon Chex)
- 1 ¼ cups dairy-free mini chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips)
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter (can sub another seed butter)
- 1 ½ cups powdered confectioners' sugar
- Place the cereal in a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate chips and seed butter together until smooth. Immediately stir the chocolate mixture into the cereal until evenly combined.
- Sift the powdered sugar over the cereal mixture and mix until combine.
- Let the reindeer chow sit for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate cools to room temperature. It will set up more the longer it cools.