Sometimes, you just need a brownie. But many brands and recipes contain dairy, not to mention gluten, eggs, and nuts – for those with additional food concerns. These allergy-friendly brownie bites are the perfect solution. They are perfectly portioned, moist, and tender sweets that nearly everyone can eat.
These Brownie Bites are Vegan, Gluten-Free & Nut-Free Treats
This allergy-friendly brownie bites recipe was a sample from the cookbook, Cookies for Everyone. I originally shared this recipe when the book launched in 2009, but have given this post a big update!
I’ve baked a few treats from this collection, and they’ve each turned out deliciously. I’m not surprised, since it’s by the baking team at Enjoy Life Foods – the allergy-friendly experts! Here’s a brief excerpt about the book.
Enjoy Life’s Cookies for Everyone cookbook is loaded with over 150 delicious gluten-free and allergy-friendly recipes that are safe for most everyone with food allergies, intolerances or sensitivities. You can rest assured each recipe contains NO: gluten, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, dairy or soy!
Choose from allergy-friendly versions of family favorites or new treats that will quickly earn top-of-the-cookie-jar status. This includes Especially Expresso Brownies, Bananas & Cream Tartlets, Lemon-licious Shortbread and People’s Choice Chocolate Chip Cookies. Everyone is bound to enjoy!
Special Diet Notes: Allergy-Friendly Brownie Bites
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergen-free.
- 1 cup superfine sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups white rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups dairy-free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life Minis or Mega Chunks)
- Dairy-free chocolate frosting or powdered sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4) and grease 24 mini muffin tins.
- In a a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa powder, applesauce, water, oil, and vanilla with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared mini muffin tins. Do not over-fill.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the brownies are firm around the edges, but your finger still leaves an indentation when you poke one in the middle.
- Let the brownie bites cool completely in the tins, then remove them with a small knife or spatula.
- Frost or dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
This recipe is reprinted with permissions from Cookies for Everyone by Leslie Hammond and Betsy Laakso. But it is slightly adapted.