This unique cranberry orange pecan bread recipe is too enticing not to share. It uses fresh cranberries and has a triple infusion of orange by way or juice, zest, and bitters! It seems that Angostura Bitters can lend a wonderful depth to the flavor and aroma in a variety of dishes, not just drinks. This quick bread has been adapted to be “just dairy free”, but I’ve included easy swaps below for other dietary needs.
This cranberry orange bread recipe with photo was shared with us by Angostura.com.
Special Diet Notes: Cranberry Orange Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan cranberry orange bread, you can use your favorite egg replacer. Since there is just 1 egg in this recipe, it isn’t a deal breaker. For this recipe, I recommend powdered egg replacer (add the powder to the dry ingredients, the added liquid with the wet), or you can use 1 whipped aquafaba “egg” or a chia egg.
For gluten-free cranberry orange bread, swap your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour mix for the flour. Ones like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 seem to perform nicely. You will get the best results if you use the egg when making it gluten-free.
- 1 rounded cup fresh or frozen cranberries (about 4½ ounces)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped (omit for nut-free)
- 1 large egg (see post above for egg-free options)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk bevereage
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup melted dairy-free buttery spread or your baking oil of choice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons Angostura Orange Bitters
- ½ tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- If using frozen cranberries, spread the berries out on cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut large cranberries in half.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk in the nuts and egg to thoroughly combine. Stir in the cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk beverage, orange juice, buttery spread or oil, orange zest, bitters, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently until fully moistened; do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes. Then turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely for at least 1 hour before slicing.
More Specialty Cranberry Recipes
Cranberry Fizz Cocktails (gluten-free, nut-free & soy-free)
Vegan Cranberry Vanilla Scones (vegan & nut-free)
Cranberry Pecan Multi-Grain Stuffing (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
Pingback: Cranberry Apple Chutney with Warm Winter Spices - Go Dairy Free
Pingback: Pumpkin Streusel Bread Recipe: Dairy-Free Olive Oil Baking at It's Best