Treat yourself with this delicious dairy-free French toast for one recipe. There’s no need to worry about leftovers or making enough for everyone else. This easy recipe is just for you. It’s a wonderful breakfast that’s also rather nutritious, and quick to whip up, even on busy mornings. The recipe was originally created by Amy B., who wrote for us many years ago. Today, we’re giving it an update!
Dairy-Free French Toast for One, made Gluten-Free or Wheat-Based
Amy B. taste-tested many dairy-free and gluten-free products for Go Dairy Free. But one of her favorites was Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix. She uses it to bake the bread for this dairy-free French Toast for one recipe. But you can use a store bought bread in a pinch. Brands like Canyon Bakehouse and Little Northern Bakehouse are our favorites for gluten-free, dairy-free bread. Or for truly homemade, bake up this Gluten-Free Brown Honey Bread Recipe or Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread.
If you eat wheat, I personally love hearty sprouted breads, like Silver Hills Bakery or Food for Life. Or I use homemade when I have it on hand. There’s nothing like thick slices of this Homemade Wheat Bread for French toast. But you can use your favorite bread – most will be delicious.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free French Toast for One
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free optional, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Be sure to choose a bread that meets your dietary needs.
Egg-free and vegan needs? If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy? For vegan French toast, I recommend these recipes instead: Coconut Banana French Toast, Mini Maple French Toast Casseroles, Plant-Based Buckwheat French Toast, and Vegan Vanilla French Toast.
- 2 slices dairy-free bread (Amy uses gluten-free)
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dairy-free buttery spread, for the pan and serving
- Maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Fresh fruit, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your griddle or pan over medium heat.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg, egg whites, milk beverage, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Soak the bread in the batter for about 30 seconds per side.
- Melt a little buttery spread in the preheated pan and swirl it around.
- Place the dipped bread in your preheated pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Serve with more buttery spread and maple syrup, if desired.