This creative recipe for French Toast Wraps is like a cross between traditional French toast and crepes. But it’s much easier for new cooks and even kids to master than finicky crepes. We also love the versatility. This version includes a nutritious dairy-free yogurt filling with fresh fruit and granola. But you can fill them with your brunch favorites – sweet or savory!
Healthy French Toast Wraps made Dairy-Free for Breakfast or Brunch
We’ve adapted this dish to be dairy-free, because it’s so simple to do and quite foolproof. Use your favorite dairy-free yogurt for the filling – choose sweet or unsweetened, whatever you choose. You can also mix up the fruit and granola. I use this basic dairy-free granola recipe and toss in other flavors when I’m in the mood.
Unlike classic French toast, the wraps are simply dipped in the egg mixture rather than a quick soak. You can let them soak for 30 seconds or so, but it will make the wraps a touch more fragile.
This French toast wraps recipe with photo and video was shared with us by Culinary.net.
Special Diet Notes: French Toast Wraps
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
- Gluten-Free Options: Substitute gluten-free wraps, preferably ones that are grain-based.
- Egg-Free Options: See our Egg Substitute Guide for options.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced, plus additional for garnish (optional)
- 1 cup bananas, sliced
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-free yogurt
- ¼ cup dairy-free granola
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened or plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 8 tortillas
- 2 teaspoons oil or dairy-free buttery spread
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the blueberries, strawberries, bananas, dairy-free yogurt, and granola.
- In a pie plate or wide dish, whisk the egg. Add the milk beverage, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and whisk until combined.
- Dip a tortilla in the egg mixture, turning to thoroughly coat both sides.
- Heat the oil or buttery spread in a skillet over medium hat. Place the dipped tortilla in the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove the tortilla to a plate.
- Repeat the dipping and cooking process with each tortilla.
- Spoon the yogurt mixture into center of each tortilla. Fold the edges over to form wraps.
- Dust each wrap with powdered sugar and top with additional strawberry slices, if desired.