This recipe for dairy-free chocolate crepes was a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest in 2014. It was created and submitted by Victoria Richard using 8 ingredients or less!
Victoria uses oat flour, so these chocolate crepes are also gluten-free! And she opts to keep the batter unsweetened. This adds rich contrast to the sweet filling, and makes the recipe more versatile.
This recipe works for lunch or dinner, too. Simply omit the cocoa powder and then stuff with some veggies and meat.
As is, these dairy-free chocolate crepes make a wonderfully wholesome brunch, dessert, or morning treat.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Chocolate Crepes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan crepes, see this Lazy Day Crepes Recipe. You can add a little cocoa powder to the batter for a chocolate version.
- ⅓ cup gently packed oat flour (use certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup plain or unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil or your favorite baking oil, plus more for the pan
- 1 scoop dairy-free vanilla ice cream or coconut whip
- 3 sliced strawberries
- Strawberry sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the milk beverage, egg, and oil, and whisk until smooth.
- Heat a non stick skillet or crepe pan over low heat, and add a little oil to the pan if you like. Add a third of the mixture into the pan and swirl it around so the pan is covered.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the top bubbles. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides.
- Stuff with dairy-free ice cream or whip and sliced strawberries. Serve topped with strawberry sauce, if desired.