This easy layering of homemade dairy-free yogurt custard and vanilla cookies is a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Hidemi Walsh. To give the custard body and nutrition, Hidemi uses Greek-Style Cultured Almond Milk and Almond Plus AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Yogurt Custard Trifle
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your cookies wisely! If you confuse eggs for dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For a gluten-free and dairy-free yogurt custard trifle we recommend Enjoy Life Cookies or Lucy’s Cookies, though there are many other brands on the market. Mi-del offers options that are “just dairy-free” and ones that are also gluten-free (check the ingredients; a few Mi-del cookie varieties do contain dairy).
- 2 cups So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 1-3/4 cups So Delicious Plain Greek-Style Cultured Almond Milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces crunchy vanilla cookies (see notes in post above)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pour the almond milk in a microwave-safe bowl or cup and microwave on high for 50 to 60 seconds.(don't boil but just warm up)
- In a saucepan, whisk together the almond milk yogurt, sugar and egg yolks. Whisk in the cornstarch and all-purpose flour until dissolved. Heat over medium heat and stir in almond plus milk little by little. Simmer stirring constantly until thickened. Turn off the heat and Let cool.
- In an 8x8-inch baking dish, layer half of the cookies, half of yogurt cream, the rest of the cookies and the rest of yogurt cream. Sprinkle unsweetened cocoa powder on top. Refrigerate to chill and set-up before serving.