This recipe for a dairy-free Oreo ice cream cake is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Michelle Hendrickson. To qualify, she uses 8 ingredients or less, including Coconut Milk Ice Cream by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Michelle says, “I’ve made this Oreo ice cream cake several times and everyone loves it; no one knows its dairy free.” She says it is also very forgiving, “I’ve tested it with a 10 inch, 12 inch and 14 inch pan”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Oreo Ice Cream Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy and can optionally be egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian depending on the cake and frosting chosen and how you prepare them. Several cake mixes can easily be prepared egg-free. Mixes such as Cherrybrook Kitchen even come with egg-free instructions. For the cookies, we like gluten-free K-toos.
- 1 dairy-free chocolate cake box mix, mixed with water, oil, and 2 eggs (as directed on package)
- 1 pint So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 1 package dairy-free chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Late July, Oreos or Newman’s Own), crushed, with some whole cookies reserved for decoration
- 1 package dairy-free fudge frosting (such as Cherrybrook Kitchen) or dairy-free chocolate syrup, for decoration
- Rich whip, coconut cream, or other dairy-free whip topping (not non-dairy, most non-dairy toppings contain some milk)
- Pour half of the prepared cake batter into a 10-inch springform pan (the rest can be baked up as cupcakes or a separate single-layer cake), and bake as directed. Let cool completely.
- Place the ice cream in a large bowl, and stir in the crushed cookies. Top the cake with the Oreo ice cream. Top with the frosting or chocolate syrup.
- Freeze the cake for 4 to 6 hours.
- Whip the topping or coconut cream (with a touch of sweetener added) and use it to decorate the cake, along with any leftover chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Let it set in the freezer for 12-24 hours. Take out of freezer 20-30 minutes before you want to cut it.