Congratulations to Michele Luzier, Diane Transue, and Crystal Sandow! They have each won an autographed copy of the new dairy-, egg-, and nut-free cookbook, What Else is to Eat? To select this month’s winners, I asked you to respond to this month’s e-newsletter with your favorite dairy-free snack. I think a few of you were still thinking about dessert from last month’s question about your favorite ice cream flavor, as I think snacking on “cheesecake” could be slightly over-indulgent. Nonetheless, I did round up some great snack ideas to share …
- Fresh Fruit ~ Any kind. I received votes for bananas, peaches, pineapple, watermelon, cherries, blueberries, apples, mangoes, grapes, oranges …
- Frozen Grapes ~ Perfect in summer.
- Avocados ~ A few people responded that they sprinkle avocado halves with a bit of salt and scoop them out by the spoonful.
- Tofutti Cuties ~ I would have flagged this as a dessert, but these little ice cream sandwiches received numerous votes.
- Popcorn ~ Plain, salted, or topped with a little Earth Balance margarine and some salt or nutritional yeast.
- Trail Mix ~ Enjoy Life’s food allergy friendly version received a few votes.
- Cereal ~ Great for kids.
- Chocolate ~ Green & Black’s, Enjoy Life Chips …
- Nuts ~ Almonds, cashews …. handfuls of them, sometimes with some dried fruit thrown in.
- Crackers ~ Wheat Thins, Saltines, Bio Crackers, etc.
- Dairy-Free Yogurt ~ So Delicious seems to be the brand of choice.
- Oatcakes and Peanut Butter ~ I enjoy rice cakes and almond butter (with a touch of cinnamon) so I think I am on the same wavelength with this snacker.
- Hummus with … ~ Some like regular hummus, others like flavored versions, some like it with crackers, others with pita bread. There were several votes for olive hummus … so I will be adding that to my cart on the next shopping trip.
- Veggie Booty ~ A slightly healthier version of “puffs” and chips.
- Pretzels ~ Thick or thin.
- Sweet Potato Chips ~ Can I just say, yum!
- Tofu ~ Yes, apparently there is a dairy-allergic little girl out there who actually likes snacking on tofu! Interesting concept.
- Pop Tarts ~ A few flavors are dairy-free.
- Rice Crispy Treats ~ A classic.
- Baby Carrots ~ This is one of mine, and I was surprised I didn’t see it among the votes thus far!
A few detailed responses …
- Applesauce Leather ~ I thought this was a great idea … “Just applesauce in the dehydrator, just like a fruit roll up! (Though the strawberry leather doesn’t last long either!)”
- Apples with “Dip” ~ I will be making this soon, thank you for the idea! … “My favourite dairy free snack: sliced apple with almond butter, honey and cinnamon. Also works as favourite dessert.” Another similar response suggested peanut butter.
- Bread & Spread ~ “One of my daughters favorite dairyfree snacks is a piece of cinnamon raison bread (Rudy’s) with soy nut butter and honey!! Yum!!”
- Dipped Bananas ~ “My favorite dairy-free snack is banana with smear of sunbutter and raisins. (sometimes a few dairy-free, allergy-free Enjoy Life chocolate chips too)”
- Yogurt & Granola ~ “My favorite dairy-free snack is soy yogurt with fresh granola and berries. I love Silk-brand soy yogurt …”
- Upgraded Chips & Salsa ~ “My husband and I, since we are more dairy free than not (by default thanks to our kids), lean toward Archer Farms Blue Corn Chips with Flax and thier Peach and Pineapple salsa.”
- Caramel “Cream Cheese” ~ This one caught my attention … “A great dairy free snack is a “carmel dairy free cream cheese” mixture dipped with apples. Dairy Free cream cheese, 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, 1 tesp vanilla. Blend with a hand mixer. Cut up an apple and dip into the sweet creamy mixture.”
There were more, but I am still going through them. Thank you for all of your great responses and suggestions!