This cake was really good, and I rarely enjoy chocolate cake. Yes, it is true. Though I am a fan of a good dark chocolate bar, and even a nice dense brownie, I have never been a big cake person. Yet, something about the texture and mild chocolate flavor of the Sylvan Border Farm cake just worked.
I certainly wasn’t the only one who enjoyed this delightful dessert. The mix makes a very generous 13 x 9 inch cake, so I ensured many tasters were on hand. Absolutely everyone loved it, special diet or not. My husband even had three pieces in one day! As an added bonus, not a single person realized that it was gluten-free. The texture was light, fluffy, and delicious. That being said, this is a better “same-day” cake. After a day of storage it began to take on moisture and became a bit crumbly. Of course, that didn’t stop us from polishing it off.
Preparation was a snap: just add oil, water, milk alternative, and eggs. The directions do call for milk, but I used plain rice milk with great success. In fact, the cake appeared foolproof, as it rose beautifully. I topped it with a homemade coconut-pecan frosting for that German Chocolate Cake flair. If you are seeking a pure chocolate experience, Sylvan Border Farm includes three chocolaty frosting recipes with the mix. Just use your favorite milk alternative in place of the milk, and vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks) in place of the butter for top quality results.
- Pros: Easy preparation; Gluten-free; All-natural; Low in fat (only 7g per generous slice); Perfect texture; Truly crowd-pleasing
- Cons: It can get a bit crumbly when kept overnight; Subject to milk cross-contamination as it is produced on shared equipment with dairy containing products
- Birthday Parties
- Get-Togethers and Potlucks
- Chocolate Cake Anytime
- Gluten-Free and Casein-Free Diets
Where to Buy:
- Online – Direct from Sylvan Border Farm. Though based in California, they will ship worldwide.