It came as no surprise to me that this product was also a Scovie Award winner. All of the sauces we have trialed from Nanny’s Jamaican Kitchen have been sensational in both quality and taste. Their BBQ & Dipping Sauce was certainly no exception. It comes in two temperatures, Mild and Spicy.
I opted to include both in one review, as the two are practically identical in ingredients and flavor, with just one notable exception. The habañero peppers rank two spots higher on the ingredient statement of the Spicy version. Keep in mind, the word “mild” in association with any of Nanny’s sauces may be a bit deceiving. The Mild BBQ & Dipping Sauce has a surprisingly spicy kick that will liven up any ordinary dish of chicken or tofu. I recommend this one most for creating dips and sauces that the whole family will enjoy. The Spicy version has a fiery finish that lingers, perfect for challenging heat-loving friends and relatives.
For those who are timid with any product that contains habañero peppers, this BBQ sauce has an incredible amount of versatility and can easily be tamed into a number of delicious foods. We opted to trial Nanny’s recipe for Maple Pork Sauce in combination with a pork tenderloin roast for our holiday dinner. To say that it was a hit would be an understatement. Even my spice-fearing grandmother enjoyed the sweet-smoky flavor of this simple sauce, and my father couldn’t get enough of it.
So what really sets Nanny’s BBQ sauce apart from the others? Unlike most other BBQ sauces, Nanny’s is made with all natural and organic ingredients for real food flavor, rather than an abundance of sugar and salt. Though it is extremely thick and substantial, it only contains five calories per Tablespoon. These characteristics enabled the chefs at Nanny’s Jamaican Kitchen to create a plethora of recipes utilizing their BBQ sauce. Beyond the Maple Pork Sauce, we received positive feedback on the following recipe ideas…
- Jamaica Me Nuts
- Spicy Mayonnaise
…and are looking forward to trying the following
- Crunchy Barbequed Tortilla Chips
- Jamaican Potato Salad Extraordinaire
Pros & Cons
- Pros: Certified USDA organic; Vegan; Very low in calories and fat; Relatively low in sodium (80mg per Tablespoon); Thick and hearty; Versatile
- Cons: The spicy nature of these kept most of us from using them as a “straight” dip or BBQ sauce
- A (Very) Spicy Dip or Sauce for White Meat or Vegetables
- Creating Simple Party Snacks
- Blended with Maple Syrup or Honey for a Sweet-Hot Sauce or Dip
- Blended with Mayonnaise (1:1) for an excellent Burger Spread
Where to Buy:
- Online – www.nannysjamaicankitchen.com
In Stores – Throughout the U.S.