Set that expensive maple syrup aside, and give another natural sweetener some time in the a.m. spotlight. This Coconut Milk & Honey French Toast is a delicious riff on a breakfast classic, and it’s naturally dairy free! If you’re short on fresh ingredients, you can use mostly pantry ingredients for the toast, and frozen fruit for the topping.
Coconut Milk & Honey French Toast for Breakfast or Dessert
You can easily up the indulgence of this recipe or dial it down. Dairy-free Texas-style toast works fantastic for a diner-style breakfast. For a heartier meal, pick your favorite whole grain bread and use a lighter hand with the honey drizzle.
For dessert, dairy-free pound cake is the way to go. Our Perfect Dairy-Free Pound Cake Recipe has wheat-based and gluten-free options. And this award-winning Vegan Pound Cake Recipe can be made without the chocolate marble. If you want the ease of store-bought, look for brands like Abe’s Vegan Pound Cake.
This coconut milk & honey French Toast recipe with photo was shared with us by the National Honey Board. It has been slightly adapted for dairy-free needs, and for easier use.
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Milk & Honey French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For egg-free French toast, make this Vegan Cinnamon French Toast or Vegan Vanilla French Toast. We haven’t tested this French toast recipe without eggs, but it might work well with aquafaba or chia eggs.
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup light canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 small slices dairy-free pound cake (see recommendations in post above) or thickly sliced bread (gluten-free, if needed)
- In a small bowl, stir together the raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey and cayenne pepper.
- Just before serving, warm the honey to make it thin and pourable.
- Heat electric griddle to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Arrange the pound cake or bread slices, side by side in a casserole dish or jelly roll pan. Pour the coconut milk and honey mixture over the slices. Let them soak for 1 minute.
- Grease the griddle. Remove a pound cake or bread slice, let any excess liquid drip off, and place it on the griddle. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Cook the French toast for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden crispy on the outside, and cooked through.
- To serve, place two overlapping French toast slices on a plate, top with ¼ cup mixed berries, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.