Boulder Colorado is booming with conscious restaurants, and special diet consumers are enjoying the benefits. Stephanie P. messaged us with a few of her favorites, which included Fresh Thymes Eatery.
Fresh Thymes Eatery is very focused on allergen-friendly eating. All the staff are knowledgeable about what ingredients are in what, and they have very very clearly marked menu items, with soy and nuts specifically mentioned and no hidden dairy. It’s a fancy casual dining environment with alcohol available.
Fresh Thymes Eatery in Boulder Righteously Serves Special Diet Patrons
As it turns out, Fresh Thymes a 100% gluten-free and peanut-free establishment with many vegan, vegetarian, paleo, and keto menu options. And the bulk does indeed appear to be dairy-free. We contacted the restaurant to find out more on their dairy-free options specifically, and they responded very promptly.
Thank you for your interest in Fresh Thymes! At the Eatery, our philosophy is no HIDDEN dairy. That means that the only time you will ever see dairy on our menu it will be a cheese product on top of a dish. None of our sauces, dressings, breads or desserts contain any dairy products (that includes eggs, too).
I love that they went so far as to note the breads were free of dairy ingredients. Many restaurateurs don’t think to look at their breads when dairy-free requests are made. But it does bother me that they lump eggs in with dairy, since eggs are definitely not a dairy product. Please be aware of this if you are dairy-free but not egg-free.
How They Handle Food Allergy Requests
I sent a second inquiry asking about their allergen policies, if they have an allergen menu, and how they handle food allergy orders in the kitchen.
We do not have a public allergen menu, however we do have a binder in-house that lists all our menu items and each ingredient in the recipe. If you have a question about a specific dish you see online you are more than welcome to call and ask about the ingredients. As far as cross-contamination goes, we try very hard to prevent this in our kitchens. In addition to keeping a sanitary workspace, our line cooks are diligent about changing gloves, using special cutting boards and avoiding handling multiple food products at once to reduce any contamination issues. If you have contact allergies we have protocols in place to keep you safe. We cannot 100 percent guarantee that life-threatening allergies can be accommodated.
Their caution is understandable. It’s important to speak with the manager to see if you feel comfortable with their allergen protocols if you visit Fresh Thymes.
Exploring Dairy-Free Options at Fresh Thymes Eatery and Marketplace
The menu at Fresh Thymes really is filled with great dairy-free options, but here are a few things to note.
- Their most popular dairy-free menu items are the Mac Attack (vegan mac and cheese), Dragon Tacos, Cauliflower Tacos, and Riot Wings.
- Those sauces, which are all dairy-free, include House Pesto, Ranch Dressing (nut-based), and Cashew Cream Sauce.
- They source high quality proteins, like local chicken and pork and grass-fed beef. They don’t seem to use meat alternatives, but have great vegan options made from plants.
- It looks like all of their salads and burgers can be made dairy-free if the cheese is omitted. Their buns are all gluten-free and dairy-free.
- They don’t offer dairy-free cheese, but their Grilled Pizza crusts are dairy-free and gluten-free, so you can order one sans cheese.
- As mentioned above, you can order dessert! Their house Magic Bars are dairy-free, and they always have some paleo desserts available.
- Their drink menu is expansive with many non-alcoholic options, gluten-free beer, cider, wine, and specialty cocktails. They make an array of bitters in house.
- If you’re on a budget, try their happy hour, which at last check, was dairy free! At last check, it ran Monday thru Saturday, from 4 to 6pm, but verify the current hours before showing up. They also have discounted wine Wednesdays.
The Eatery offers dine-in, take-out, and catering, but they also have a full Marketplace that’s filled with even more house-made food. As with the Eatery, the Marketplace rarely uses dairy. And they explicitly note if an item does contain dairy. Their daily selection includes gluten-free sweets and baked goods, fermented products, specialty meals, a bone broth bar, and other handmade provisions. They also offer cooking classes.
Where to Find Fresh Thymes Eatery
They are open for lunch and dinner, Monday through Friday, and brunch and happy hour on Saturdays.
Location: 2690 28th Street, Boulder, Colorado
Phone: (720) 484-5969