Throughout the years, vanilla has remained my favorite flavor for all things dessert, especially ice cream. I mean, who can resist those warm comforting notes and enticing flecks of bean? Not to mention, vanilla is arguably the most versatile flavor, lending itself as a delicious base to build on. Which is why I simply couldn’t resist creating and sharing a list of dairy-free ice cream toppings.
From homemade to store-bought, whole food to … well, a little indulgent, this extensive list of dairy-fee ice cream toppings is sure to inspire. But it isn’t an end all be all. Feel free to share your favorite toppers or any that you think I missed in the comments!
Please note that all options listed are dairy-free and vegan or have a vegan option. Most are also gluten-free, too, and there are even many top allergen-free tasties in the mix.
And … not only can these dairy-free ice cream toppings offer cool and creamy creativity for your own dessert, but you can also build a fun ice cream bar to share with guests … regardless of their diet needs.
Simple Dairy-Free Ice Cream Toppings
- Flaked or Shredded Coconut
- Fresh Berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, marionberries, etc)
- Chopped Stone Fruit (peaches, cherries, apricots, etc.)
- Diced Banana
- Chopped Nuts (pistachios, almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans, etc)
- Crushed Peanuts
- Hemp Nuts (shelled hemp seeds)
- Minced Herbs (such as mint or basil)
- Crushed Potato Chips or Pretzels (sweet & salty! Gluten-free optional)
- Crystallized Ginger
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips (Mini, Chunks or Organic Dark)
- Drained Mandarin Oranges
- Chopped Tropical Fruit (pineapple, mango, passion fruit, etc)
- Crushed Graham Crackers (even gluten-free!)
- Ice Cream Cones (yes, on top! Traditional or gluten-free)
- Powdered Freeze-Dried Fruit (whiz freeze-dried fruit in a spice grinder or food processor)
- Let’s Do Organic Sprinkelz (confetti, chocolate or coconut)
- India Tree Sprinkles (assorted “Nature’s Colors”)
- Marshmallows (natural or Dandies vegan)
- Coarse Sea Salt (just a sprinkle!)
- Organic Candy Factory Jelly Beans
- Surf Sweets Gummy Bears and Worms
- Crispy Cereals (Cocoa Crispy, Koala Crisp, Puffins, etc)
- YumEarth Crushed Candies (peppermint, butterscotch, root beer and more)
Saucy Dairy-Free Ice Cream Toppings
- Chocolate “Magic Shell” (melt 2 oz dairy-free chocolate with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil – pictured)
- Caramel Sauce (recipe w/ salted option)
- Peanut Butter “Magic Shell” (recipe)
- Sour Cherry Rum Sauce (recipe)
- Raspberry Rye Sauce (recipe)
- Emmy’s Chocolate Sauce
- Date Lady Organic Date Syrup or Caramel Sauce
- Vanilla Coconut Sauce (recipe)
- Creamy Green Tea Sauce (recipe)
- Hazelnut Liqueur Sauce (recipe)
- Melted Nut or Seed Butter
- Boozy Caramel Sauce (recipe)
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Jen’s Zen Chocolate Sauce
- Blackberry Basil Sauce (recipe)
- Chunky Blueberry-Maple Sauce (recipe)
- Cranberry Pineapple Sauce (recipe)
- Fresh Strawberry Sauce (recipe)
- Easy Hot Fudge Sauce (recipe)
- Simple Chocolate Sauce (recipe)
- Bee Free Honee (Original, Chocolate, Mint, Slippery Elm, or Ancho Chile)
- Vegan Butterscotch Sauce (recipe)
- Wax Orchards Fruit-Sweetened Fat Free Fudge Sauces
- Melted Coconut Butter (sets up like “Magic Shell”)
- Suzanne’s Specialties Rice Nectars (in various flavors)
- Pure Coconut Dulce de Leche (recipe)
- Santa Cruz Organic Chocolate Syrups (original and mint)
- Marshmallow Sauce or Vegan Ricemellow Creme
- Ah!Laska Organic Chocolate Syrup
- Warmed Jam (any flavor you like!)
- Kahlua Hot Fudge
Specialty Dairy-Free Ice Cream Toppings
- So Delicious CocoWhip
- Chia Jam (recipe)
- Divvies Gourmet Popcorn (kettle, caramel, or chocolate caramel)
- Curry Cashew Crunch (recipe)
- Whipped Cashew Cream (recipe)
- Bananas and Caramel Sauce (recipe)
- Girl Scout thin Mints (or homemade option)
- Coconut Whip (recipe)
- Caramelized Pineapple Macadamia Topping (recipe)
- Cocomo Caramel Corn
- Vegan Snickerdoodles (recipe)
- Wholesome Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (recipe)
- Chocolate-Covered Chia or Hemp Seeds
- Lucy’s Crunchy Cookies (so many flavors!)
- Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- NoNo’s (Like Sixlets – Chocolate or Chocolate Peanot Butter)
- Peanot Cups (peanut-free but SO good)
- Crushed Sandwich Cookies (Oreos, Newman’s Dairy-Free or K-Toos Gluten-Free)
- Brownie Bites
- Cookie Dough
- Chopped Go Max Go Candy Bars (copycats for Butterfingers, Snickers, Milky Way and more)
- Dairy-Free Cheesecake Chunks (recipe)
- Biscoff Spread
- Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter
- Mylk Chocolate Frosting (who needs cake?)
- Rawmio Spreads (cookie dough, chocolate coconut, superfood)
- Strawberry Balsamic Topping (recipe)
- No Bake Crisp Topping (recipe)
- Peanut Butter & Co White Chocolate Wonderful
- Chocolate-Date Bits (recipe)
- Grain-Free Cookie Crisp (recipe)
- Navitas Naturals Coconut Chips (caramel, cacao, chili lime)
- I.M. Healthy SoyNut Granola
- Honey Stinger Waffles (not vegan)
- Earth Balance P.B. Pops
- Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Granola (recipe)
- Crumbled Granola Cookies (recipe)
- Hail Merry Macaroons (especially the cookie dough and strawberry ones!)
- Essential Living Foods Chocolate-Covered Cacao Nibs and Gojis
- Enjoy Life Soft Baked Cookies
- Animal Cookies (natural or gluten-free)
- Low-Sugar Granola
- Glutino Wafer Bites
- Cookies ‘n Dreams Woats
- S’mores Granola
- Rhubarb Compote
- Maple Pecan Pralines
- Crispy Treats
- Wet Nuts (recipe)
- Crumbled Pie Crust (graham or traditional)
What Are Your Favorite Dairy-Free Sundae Toppings?
Inspire us all with your favorite(s) in the comment section below! My current favorite toppings are homemade chocolate magic shell with coarse sea salt – amazing! I married the two in this Salted Chocolate-Covered Cherry Sundae Recipe.
This post is sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free, the most amazing dairy-free frozen dessert maker in my honest opinion. The ideas in this post are all my own … okay, some friends helped out.
I am entering the contest this month with this comment, but one of my more indulgent new finds is a spray whip cream made from rice by SoyAtoo.
Entered for sure Stephanie!
My favourite topping is caramel with a little bit of course sea salt. Sweet and Salty, a lovely combination.
I see a lot of salt lovers here 🙂
My favorite toppings are ginger or sea salt.
Ginger?! Love it. One of my favorite spices but I’d never thought to pair it with dairy-free ice cream.
My favorite is Pecans, DF chocolate chips and shredded coconut!! Like a turtle without the caramel!
If I could find DF caramel I would be in HEAVEN!!
Have you tried making it Erin? I have several recipes and it’s so easy!! You might enjoy the “coconutty” version in this recipe – http://www.godairyfree.org/recipes/mini-salted-caramel-cupcake-sundaes
one of my favorite toppings is dairy free chocolate chips and coconut. Yum!
What a fun post. I love all the topping ideas you came up with. Time for a sundae bar.
My favorite sundae toppings are dairy free dark chocolate chips, graham crackers, and vegan marshmallows. I’m a sucker for smores. Thanks for posting this list. Great reference guide for sundaes. Yum.
Such an easy idea – I’ll have to try this one!
I love fresh fruit and shredded coconut on my icecream
Love the idea of coconut shreds, thanks for sharing Lisa!
My favorite ice cream topping is fresh fruit, from strawberries to pineapple, just about anything is terrific!
Fresh fruit really is the best 🙂
I recently tried a spicy mango chutney on my vanilla. It was such a luscious treat! I will be trying more spicy fruit chutneys in the future. 🙂
That sounds delicious and such a great contrast idea to the sweet.
I love a raspberry or strawberry coulis on vanilla or dark chocolate coconut-based ice cream! Roasted salted almonds are always a favorite, too.
A coulis – what an amazing idea Amy!
Oh man, I’ve never seen such an extensive list of vegan sundae suggestions! I love walnuts, chocolate syrup, and whipped coconut cream!
Yum! That sounds like a tasty combo Jacky!
OMG. This looks amazing! I just got back from a blazing hot run so ice cream sounds SO GOOD!
Seriously love this list! I always love the classic rainbow sprinkles the most though 😉
You seem like a sprinkles kind of gal Rebecca 🙂
What’s better than Vanilla ice cream? TOPPINGS!! I’m obsessed with some of these unique options I never would have though of!
What a great list! I absolutely LOVE hemp seeds on ice cream!
I know, so nutty!
I love all these ideas! They would all go great over my favorite So Delicious cashew ice cream 😉
Definitely! That’s my favorite, too, Kathy 🙂
OMG! The options are endless! Love this! No more boring ice cream 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing!
Wow! I guess the possibilities are really endless when it comes to topping our favorite frozen treat. Those are some great ideas!
okay, I am definitely craving ice cream with ALL KINDS of toppings right now. when I was a kid, I’d spend the night at my friend’s house, and we’d make bowls of ice cream and stir EVERYTHING in there. then enjoy it while watching Love Boat. 🙂
Ah, Love Boat 🙂